Ants of Africa
Distribution Card - Notes
NOTE: For simplicity -
- The definitive current species name is that in the first row; all
records have been amended to use that name but I have used a trinomial
form to allow for differentiation of original records.
- Only the first named author is given; the date suffix x indicates
a single paper in that year and is used for sorting purposes.
- Where I have used Taylor - 2005w - it is to indicate material
original to my work and/or incorporated in this site but not formally
published elsewhere (other than on another website, as indicated in the
- Wheeler - 1922xr - is used to denote information cited by Wheeler
(1922) of which the original source is not presently clear (1922x
citations are records directly from Zaïre in Wheeler, 1922).
- I have used the current geographical names for almost all
countries but have retained "Zaïre" for the now Democratic Republic of
- I have used the term "new variety" to indicate any description
which refers to other than the type form. In modern papers, e.g. by
Bolton, the common usage is for a single type form, with all variations
reduced to "junior synonym" status, a system which I find submerges the
extent of variation. As far as possible, in the text pages I have
provided access to the original descriptions of "subspecies",
"variety", or whatever.
For ease of entry in the source database/spreadsheet, I have omitted
accents on names of people and places; these can be found in the main
text - for authors on the species pages, and, for collectors and places
on the geography pages.
© 2005, 2012 - Brian Taylor CBiol FSB FRES
11, Grazingfield, Wilford, Nottingham, NG11 7FN, U.K.